I pay so much attention to the meals I prepare and that is why the first tool I gaze on whenever I want to cook is the kitchen utility knife.
Blending with your kitchen gadgets takes a lot of time and effort most especially chef’s cooking for a big restaurant. You just want to get everything right! This definitely explains why professional chef’s hold on to their knives everywhere they go, it’s just so dear.
Nonetheless, if you are a beginner cook and you are still trying to figure out the best utility knife for you, then your worries are over. I got the best kitchen utility knife for you! Yippee.
- What Is A Kitchen Utility Knife?
- Kitchen Utility Knife Buying Guide
- Top 5 Kitchen Utility Knives
- How to Maintain Your Kitchen Utility Knife
What Is A Kitchen Utility Knife?
A kitchen utility knife is simply a multipurpose knife that can practically be used for any task in the kitchen. This knife is known for its versatility and ease of use.
Although the kitchen utility knife tends to fall in between the paring knife and the chef’s knife in terms of size and usage. And this is what makes it unique. It does what the paring knife and the chef knife cannot do and what they can do.
That is, the utility knife fills in for their weakness and also possess their strength. If you are just starting out in the kitchen or you don’t know the specific purpose of each knife yet, then the kitchen utility knife is your top choice.
Utility knife! As the name implies can be used for slicing fruits, garlic, onions, vegetable, and beef. However, the knife should not be used to cut a large portion of meat as it is not meant for this kind of task.
In addition, I want you to know this post was written specifically about kitchen utility knife, how to maintain the knife and a detailed review on five different utility knives. The information here are well researched and will give you all the details you need to know about utility knives.
Check Our Post On The Best Wok To Buy!
Kitchen Utility Knife Buying Guide
There are different types of utility knives in the market, therefore, you should watch out for few qualities before buying one. Furthermore, a typical utility knife blade has a length of 5-7 inches. Any knife with a shorter length than this is a paring knife while any knife that is longer than this is a chef knife.
Listed below are few features and qualities you should be observant of when buying a kitchen utility knife.
Quality of the Handle
The quality of the handle matters so much when you are shopping for a utility knife. A quality handle determines how long the knife will last. Mostly, knives made with tough resins and high-density wood tend to last longer than knives with cheaper handles.
In addition, always check to see if the blade extends down into the handle to avoid any injury while using it.
Lastly, make sure you hold the knife to feel its ergonomic handle and be sure it’s comfortable in your hands before purchasing it.
Quality of the Blade
One major distinction between the utility knife and other knife is the blade steel. If you want a good utility knife in your kitchen, you can’t compromise the quality of the blade for anything.
Materials used for blades vary from stainless steel to ceramics or aluminum. Good materials matter a lot and I will suggest if you are not planning to spend big then a high-carbon stainless steel will be good for you. It does not break easily and it is quite affordable.
Also, make sure you have a good knife sharpener in case the blade becomes blunt over time.
Type of Edge
The type of edges the knife has also mattered a lot when choosing your kitchen utility knife. The utility knife comes with either a straight edge or serrated edge and both edges have their advantages.
Although, the advantages depend solely on the choice of things you are planning to cut. When you want to cut sensitive or delicate food, the straight edge knife is preferable to the serrated edge. While a serrated edge knife is preferably used to cut dense food like meats and bread.
Therefore, let your choice be based on the type of meal you want to use it for and you can also purchase both to make your cooking less stressful.
Is the Knife Balance?
You must always ask yourself this question whenever you hold a knife. Your Comfort is paramount when choosing a knife, you don’t want a knife too heavy for you.
Sometimes, people think the balance of a knife is negligible hence they go for any knife. This mistake results in so many domestic accidents.
Therefore, always hold the utility knife and feel the weight, make sure it’s comfortable before purchasing it.
Top 5 Kitchen Utility Knives
Victorinox 6 Inch Extra-wide Straight Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Stiff Blade
The Victorinox knife is a typical utility knife. It is made from high-carbon stainless steel with reasonable strength. It features a protective bolster that prevents the finger from slipping forward as you cut.
Also, the knife comes with a slim design that makes it comfortable to handle with a steady grip.
In addition, the knife is rust resistance and the handle is made with plastic hence the knife is dishwasher safe.
This utility knife can be used to carve turkey during Thanksgiving Day, trim or remove meat and fish from bones. For a low budget shopping, this is the perfect kitchen utility knife for you.
- This utility knife handle is textured, slip resistant, and ergonomically designed for balance and comfort
- The extra-wide, straight, stiff stainless steel blade is ideal for tougher meats such as pork or beef that require a knife that won’t bend easily
- The knife is ideal for separating meat, poultry, or fish from the bone with precise control
- It features a high carbon stainless-steel blade which provides maximum sharpness and edge retention
- Lastly, the manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship
- Customers complain the edges require frequent sharpening.
J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC 6″ Utility Knife
Just like the Victorinox utility knife, the J.A. Henckels utility knife is also 6 inches and it deserves its name as a classic! The design is very catchy and the shape/weight is also deserving. The blade is made from high quality German stainless steel.
Furthermore, this knife features a very strong blade that will last for a long period of time. It can be used for almost everything. Yes! It can perform a variety of task with the user at ease as this knife is quite comfortable and balance well while in use.
Henckels utility knife can be used for cutting vegetables, fruits, and thick sandwiches. Therefore, if you want to step up your kitchen utility knife, go for the classic J.A. Henckels.
- The blade is fabricated from high-quality German stainless steel
- Comes with a fully forged construction which offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
- It is known for long-lasting sharpness
- The ergonomic, traditional triple-rivet handle gives balance and comfort
- It is dishwasher safe
- Classic knife for cutting thick sandwiches, vegetables, and fruits
- Customers complain the handle feels too small in their hands.
Shun DM0722 Classic 6-Inch Serrated Utility Knife
Guess you have been wondering, are there no good serrated utility knives? Well, the answer is Yes! There are quite a lot of them. And the one I will be talking about is the Shun classic serrated knife.
This knife is distinguished for its good cutting abilities. It can cut through bread, meat, vegetables and any sandwich easily.
Although I have a special liking for utility knives with serrations, this is not influencing my review on this kitchen utility knife in any way. In comparison to other types of utility knives, the Shun classic knife comes with a patterned texture which stops food from sticking to the blade when you are slicing.
Also, the blade is rust resistance hence it will last a very long time. If you also appreciate a serrated blade and value a utility knife that will last long in your kitchen then this knife is your best choice.
- This is a 6-inch utility knife with serrated edge for slicing through ripe tomatoes
- It comes with a stainless-steel blade clad with 16 layers to produce Damascus look that’s rust-free
- Also, has slight patterning which helps to keep cut food from sticking to the blade
- The handle is quite comfortable and has a steel bolster.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- So far, there have been no complaints from consumers.
Wusthof Classic 4-1/2-Inch Utility Knife
Wusthof is popularly known for their good knives and that is why they are gracing our top 5 kitchen utility knife list. The size of this knife makes it unique from other utility knives – it comes with a 4-1/2-Inch blade which makes it very easy to peel small fruit and slice onions.
Furthermore, the handle is made with good materials which offers you good grip while using it and gives you balance. The blade of the knife also extends into the riveted handle with a bolster at the edge of the handle to protect the hands from slipping while in use.
Lastly, the Wusthof kitchen utility knife is known for its sharpness for cutting any food effortlessly. Whenever the blade is getting blunt, use a blade sharpener to get it back in shape and continue enjoying your classy knife.
- The blade measurement is 4-1/2″; while the full knife (including blade and handles) Measures approximately 10” by .8/9 by .3/5 inches
- Also, the blade of this knife is forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Wusthof utility knife features Full-tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle for superior strength and balance
- It’s best to wash by hand
- The manufacturer promises limited lifetime warranty
- Consumers don’t have any complaints as at the publication of this post.
Yaxell Super Gou Utility Knife, 5-Inch
The best of the best on our list is the Yaxell Super Gou. This traditional Japanese utility knife is known for its superior construction and metal quality.
Also, the knife is very beautiful and decorative, very appealing to the eyes. It comes with a 5 inches blade that is quite sharp. The knife can be washed in a dishwasher and can also be hand washed.
Lastly, due to the quality material this utility knife is made from, it can resist all types of damage making it last very long and classy. If you are planning to invest in kitchen gadgets that will last for a long period of time and you are not mindful of the price then here is the perfect knife for you.
- Yaxell’s newest and strongest knives yet – Super Gou 5-inch Utility Knife
- The blade core of this knife is made from ultra-hard Micro Carbide Powder stainless steel called SG2
- Also, the core of the knife is enveloped with 80 layers of alternating hard and soft steel on each side.
- This utility knife features a super strong, tough, thin cutting blade with a total of 161 Layers.
- The knife is corrosion resistant with long-lasting performance
- Warranty is fully guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship
- Customers complain it is too expensive
How to Maintain Your Kitchen Utility Knife
After buying your kitchen utility knife with all the sweetness, sharpness and comfortable feel it gives you. Then you also need to reciprocate these qualities by keeping your knife in the best condition. Taking good care of your utility knife guarantees a long lifespan.
Also, you sure don’t want to have a dull knife as you know this could be very dangerous while using it. Therefore, we have listed maintenance tips below for you to follow to preserve the lifespan of your knife and ensure your safety as the user.
- Always use a honing steel for your knife after every use – Honing steel is used to realign your knife blade after each use.
- Do not place knives on the edge of countertops where they can be brushed or grazed against accidentally
- Always store your utility knife in a knife rack after use for preservation and safety
- It is better to hand wash your knife than using a dishwasher to reduce the possibility of the blade of your knife getting dull
- Take your knives to professional sharpeners don’t use home sharpening machines except if you are angry at your knife!
Check our Post on 5 Simple Mistake You make While Using a Dishwasher